In the summer of 2016, both the Assessment and Curriculum Committees at Bates Technical College approved a syllabus template for use college-wide. This template includes all recommended categories, required college legal language and meets accessibility guidelines.
Making changes to courses or programs for review by the Curriculum Committee is a perfect opportunity to update syllabi but instructors may update their syllabi to the new template at any time. Some instructional deans require their faculty to update all their courses to the new template.
There are some elements of the syllabus that instructors are encouraged to personalize and others that should be left as-is:
- The formatting should not be changed because it is designed specifically to be more accessible for people with low vision.
- The major headings should not be changed because there are some things the college requires instructors to cover in every syllabus.
- The text under headings should remain unless it specifically doesn’t apply. For instance, instructors could remove the section of ‘Netiquette’ for classes that have no online interactions.
- Items at the instructor’s discretion to remove are so indicated like this: “[optional]”.
Program faculty may choose to place material from the Course Policies and College Resources sections in a program handbook that is distributed to students when they enter the program – instead of quoting these two lengthy sections in each syllabus.Access the most recent version here
- Updated links to the new BatesTech.edu website
- Added links to Bates official online Curriculum Guide
- Combined repeated sections in Course Policies and College Resources
- Updated section on Academic Integrity (formerly called “Cheating and Plagiarism”)
- Removed watermark
- Changed font to ‘Source Sans Pro’ as per the College Style Guide