If you’ve earned high school credits, have work, military or life experience, but have not yet obtained your high school diploma or equivalency, then this program may be the perfect fit for you.
What is HS21+?
- The High School 21+ program is a competency-based high school diploma offered at Bates Technical College.
- Adults ages 21 years or older can earn a high school diploma. An advisor will examine transcripts and knowledge gained from life experience, and work with you to craft an educational plan to fill gaps.
- HS 21+ infuses basic skills classes with more rigorous, high school-level education and training so you can upgrade your skills while working toward a high school credential.
- High School 21+ is geared toward transitioning students into college and career programs that lead to living-wage careers.
- Students are assessed to measure their gaps in education and work readiness. An advisor will create a customized plan of action.
- To receive a diploma, students must demonstrate competency in reading, writing, and math in the context of science, history, government, occupational studies, and digital literacy. Students can demonstrate their knowledge in several ways, including work, life, and military experience; a prior learning portfolio; and high school and college transcripts.
- Students are eligible for the Basic Skills tuition rate of $25 per quarter.
- Bates Technical College issues the diploma.
- Attend the HS21+ Orientation.
Offered every Wednesday 2 p.m., Downtown Campus, A224 (Unable to attend orientation? Call 253.680.7274 for assistance).
Get an official transcript from the last high school(s) attended and any state testing scores.
Gather together your work history, workplace training and industry certifications completed.
You can request a copy of your complete work history from WORKSOURCE at 1305 Tacoma Ave #201
Take the free CASAS exam.
Thursdays: 9 a.m., Downtown Campus, A220
Fridays: 9 a.m., Downtown Campus, A223
Last Step! Meet with advising staff at the Downtown Campus, A224 for transcript review and quarterly class registration. Bring all above documentation with you.
The following staff can assist you with questions:
- Dana McNutt, 253.680.7274
- Bridget Findley, 253.680.7272
- Tony Davis, 253.680.7366
Please note: HS21+ advising staff are NOT available for advising and registration Monday – Wednesday, between 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Drop-in hours are available Monday – Wednesday from 8 – 9 a.m. and 2 – 3 p.m., and Thursday – Friday from 8 a.m. – noon.
With HS21+, you have a new opportunity to earn a diploma and turn your fortunes around.