I am a transfer student.
Transfer students are those who have attended another college or already earned a degree. Credits obtained at another college may transfer to Bates.
Bates will evaluate each student’s records to determine transferability. Students should request an official transcript be sent to Bates Technical College. Students will also still need to apply to the college for admission.
Step One: Apply for admission to Bates
- Complete your FREE online application. If you are a returning student, you already have a SID and should not apply for admission. Please contact 253.680.7002 to schedule an appointment with an advisor
- Upon acceptance of your application, you will receive an email with your next steps and your assigned Student Identification number (SID).
- If you have questions or issues filling out the online application, contact Megan at 253.680.7134.
Step Two: Attend an information session
- While you are waiting for your application to be processed, attend a free information session to learn about the admissions process. Our admissions officers will share important information about the application process, resources to pay for college and admissions requirements for your specific program.
Step Three: Apply for financial aid
- Create a FSA ID at www.studentaid.ed.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA). Have your tax return handy to answer the income questions. Bates Technical College’s school code is 012259.
- Complete other materials as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
Step Four: Establish college placement
- Send a copy of your official transcripts to Bates Technical College, Attn: Transcript and Credential Evaluator, 1101 S. Yakima Ave., Tacoma, WA 98405.
- Submit a copy of the Request for Credit Evaluation Form.
- Allow up to four weeks for the evaluation process after the evaluations have been received.
Step Five: Register for classes
- Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes or be placed on a waitlist. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 (Downtown/Central) or 253.680.7403 (South) to schedule your appointment.
- Please bring a copy of your transcripts to this appointment. Note that recommendations made by advisors for placement are not official until evaluated by the Registrar.
- Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.
Step Six: Attend New Student Orientation
Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID card. Learn about student resources at the college.