Tuition Payment Plan Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll in the Tuition Payment Plan via Nelnet Business Solutions? NOTE: Only set up a payment plan if you have registered for classes, you know your balance due, and you have a balance owing of at least $200.
Simple steps to enroll:
- View the Payment Plan Enrollment site to begin the enrollment process
- Follow the instructions on each page to set up your plan
- Be sure to save your enrollment confirmation email from Nelnet and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of safe email addresses, so that you don’t miss an email notification if a payment is missed
- You can review your payment plan balance online through your MyPaymentPlan account. You may also call Nelnet Business Solutions at 1.800.609.8056 to check your balance
- If you need your balance adjusted, please email email@example.com or call Cashier’s Office at 253.680.7018. (See Balance Adjustments below for timelines.)
What if my down payment or monthly payment fails?
If any automatic payment fails for the enrollment fee or for the down payment, your payment plan may be terminated. All other failed scheduled payments will be automatically re-attempted two additional times. The first re-attempt will occur on the 5th day of the following month. If this also fails, a second re-attempt will occur on the 20th day of the following month.
Nelnet will charge a $30 fee for each failed payment attempt. You and the college will be notified if this occurs. If there are still insufficient funds after the two payment re-attempts, you must make the payment at the cashier’s office located at the college.
Your bank or financial institution may also charge a fee for these failed payment attempts. If you continue to owe on your student account after the last regularly scheduled monthly payment, your student account will be blocked from any future quarter registration, receipt of grades and receipt of transcripts until your account is paid in full. In addition, your account may be transferred to a collection agency and additional collection fees will be applied.
Why am I charged a $25 fee to use the payment plan?
The $25 fee is used to support the cost of the payment plan service with the provider, Nelnet Business Solutions, and to support the additional administrative effort at the college in order to provide support for the service. The payment plan is strictly an optional service for students to provide the convenience of spreading the cost of tuition over the course of the enrolled quarter.
How does adding or dropping classes – or other reasons why my tuition and fees changed – affect my payment plan?
BALANCE ADJUSTMENTS: If your balance has changed due to changes in your class schedule or financial aid, please do not assume your balance will automatically be adjusted. You should review your payment plan balance online through MyPaymentPlan. You should also contact the Cashier’s Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org or 253.680.7018 to confirm the change. Timeline in order for balance changes to be effective on the next payment cycle:
- Balance increases must be made at least 10 business days before the next payment is due or your balance will be adjusted on the subsequent payment
- Balance decreases must be made at least three business days before the next payment is due or your balance will be adjusted on the subsequent payment. You will receive an email notification if there has been any change in the preauthorized payment amount.
How do refunds for payment plan students work?
Refunds for class withdrawals are based on the college’s refund policy. All refunds for payments paid via the payment plan will be made with a physical check mailed to your address on file with Bates Technical College, regardless of the original payment method used. If you withdraw from any classes after the 100 percent refund period, you may still owe the balance on your payment plan. If you withdraw after all college refund dates have passed, you will continue to owe the full balance remaining on your payment plan.
What expenses can be financed under this plan?
The Tuition Payment Plan covers tuition and course fees that are charged at registration for each quarter you enroll in the payment plan. Examples of fees that cannot be paid with a payment plan are assessment testing, graduation fees, official transcript fees, books, tools, fines, child care and non-sufficient fund fees.
When will monthly payments begin?
Monthly payments will be processed according to the payment schedule you select in the enrollment process. Your payments will then be processed on the 20th of each month. All down payments and enrollment fees are processed immediately. If the payment date falls on a weekend or banking holiday observed by the Federal Reserve, the payment will be attempted on the next business day for both credit card and ACH (automatic bank account withdrawal). If you want to know the time of day the payment will be withdrawn from your account, contact your financial institution.
What if I want to pay more than the scheduled monthly payment or down payment?
Additional payments maybe made through MyPaymentPlan at least three (3) business days prior to the next scheduled payment date which would reduce the selected scheduled payment amount. If you have any other adjustments that you would like to make to your payment plan, please contact Cashier’s Office at 253.680.7018 or email@example.com.
How long does it take for my payment plan payment to show up on my student account?
Successful payments are posted to student accounts within seven business days.
If my balance is zero, do I need to alert Nelnet or my institution to stop taking payments from my account?
Please notify Bates Technical College via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if your balance is zero. If it is at least three business days prior to a scheduled payment date, no Nelnet payments will be made from your bank account or credit card.
Can I change my bank account or credit card information?
If it is at least three business days prior to a scheduled payment date, you may update future payment information online through MyPaymentPlan or call Nelnet at 800.609.8056.
What if I activate a new credit or debit card (even if the only difference is the expiration date)?
You MUST update card information online through your MyPaymentPlan account or contact Nelnet at 1.800.609.8056 or the payment may not go through and Nelnet will charge you a $30 fee. NOTE: The “Responsible Party” listed on the payment plan must be an authorized signer for the new credit or debit card.
Will I be allowed to register for the next quarter while my current quarter is still on a payment plan?
You will be allowed to register if you are still in good standing with your current payment plan. You may be blocked for non-payment in future quarters if your payment plan becomes delinquent.
What forms of payment methods can be setup for a payment plan?
Automatic bank payment (ACH) and Visa or MasterCard credit/debit cards are accepted forms of payment methods.
Account management tips:
- Students are responsible for ensuring payments are received by Nelnet.
- Verify sufficient funds are available in your bank account at least 3 days prior to the withdrawal date.
- Note that some bank cards have a daily withdrawal limit and may deny large tuition payments.
- Check with your bank if you are using a debit card. Debit cards may fail due to daily limit restrictions imposed by your bank.
- Be sure to add email@example.com to your list of email safe senders so that you don’t miss an email notification if a payment is missed.
- Check your bank account monthly.
- If a payment is missed and there was enough money in the account, call your bank to find out why they denied the payment.
Contact Bates Technical College Cashier’s Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 253.680.7018. Please include your name, student identification number, specific question or concern. You may also contact Nelnet Campus Commerce at 800.609.8056.