If you’re using your VA educational benefits at Bates, we can help. Bates is a participant of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35; Post 9/11 GI Bill®; Montgomery GI Bill® -Active Duty; Vocational Rehabilitation; and Veteran’s Innovation Program. Select programs, such as our continuing education programs, are not eligible for funding through the GI Bill.
To apply for benefits, go to www.gibill.va.gov and click ‘Apply for Benefits.’ You’ll need to provide Bates’ VA Certifying Official with the following documentation:
- Copy of your online VA application
- Letter of Eligibility from VA
- College Transcripts
- Accuplacer scores
Students wanting to use their GI Bill funding, MyCAA, GoArmyEd, or other military tuition assistance must turn in a certification request form along with a copy of your class schedule before the beginning of each quarter (VA strongly recommends at least 30 days prior) to the school certifying official, and AFTER you have finished registering for all your classes.Certification Request Form
We also recommend that you apply for financial aid.
- Bates Technical College VA Students Handbook (PDF)
- AMVETS – For assistance with completing the VA application, contact AMVETS at 253.472.2559 or amvetswa.org. They are located at 5717 S. Tyler St, Tacoma, WA 98409.
- The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB, Ch. 30 and Ch. 1606) – Enlisted individuals on or after July 1, 1985 may use the Montgomery GI Bill. The monthly benefit is based the type of training and length of service.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31) – To apply for vocational rehabilitation benefits (Ch. 31).
- Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) – Learn more here.
- WA Career pathways for Veterans
- Hire America’s Heroes
- WA State Department of Veterans Affairs
- USA Jobs
- GI Bill
- The American Legion
- Career One Stop
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Army ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
- Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript (SMART)
- Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Coast Guard Institute
- Replacement DD 214 Certificate of Discharge
- Ask Vets First
Selected programs of study at Bates Technical College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.